GROW AN AVOCADO PLANT
HOW TO GROW AN AVOCADO PLANT FROM SEED
A step by step guide on how to grow an avocado seed using water + our Propagation Cones.
Prep Time: 5 mins per Avocado
Grow Time: 2-4 weeks to Root + 2-4 weeks to Sprout
- AVOCADO SEED - freshly removed from a ripe Avocado
- KNIFE - we are using a Japanese Pocket Knife to cut the Avocado
- TOWEL - we are using our FUROSHIKI to wipe the Avocado Seed
- GLASS - we are using a standard size Drinking Glass
- WATER - to rinse, soak + root the Avocado Seed
- PROPAGATION CONE - to hold Avocado Seed over glass of water to grow roots. You can use toothpicks or another vessel too.
- POTTING SOIL (optional) - if you choose to pot your Avocado Seed once it's rooted
- PLANT POT (optional) - if you choose to pot your Avocado Seed once it's rooted. We are using our size Large 5" Plant Pot.
- Using your KNIFE cut the AVOCADO in half carefully without cutting the seed if possible.
2. Remove the SEED from the Avocado center and enjoy your Avocado to eat separately :)
3. Wash the AVOCADO SEED in WATER and clean off any excess avocado from the seed with your TOWEL.
3. Soak your AVOCADO SEED in WATER for 1-2 days.
4. Remove your AVOCADO SEED from the water and carefully peel the skin off with your fingers. If it is too difficult to peel off, it may need to soak in water for another day or so to loosen the skin.
5. Place your peeled AVOCADO SEED on a PROP CONE over a glass of water. Please make sure the bottom of the Seed is submerged in water but the Cone should not be touching the water (fabric will mold and damage if exposed to water over long periods of time).
6. After a 2-4 weeks (approximately) - you should see your AVOCADO SEED start to crack in the middle and roots will grow from the BOTTOM of the seed.
7. After another 2-4 weeks (approximately) - you should see your AVOCADO SEED start to sprout from the TOP of the seed and leaves will start growing.
8. OPTIONAL: After your AVOCADO SEED sprouts you can pot in your PLANT POT with POTTING SOIL.
***You can technically leave your Avocado Seed growing over water for as long as you'd like BUT if you plant in Soil it will grow faster and it will get more nutrients in Soil vs. Water.
Step by step video guide is also available on our YouTube
- If you keep the AVOCADO Seed growing over water - make sure to change the water once a week or whenever the water starts to look dirty/not clear.
- If you pot your Seed in Soil - please make sure to water frequently as Avocado Plants require a lot of Sun and get very thirsty :)
Please leave any questions or comments below!