AVOCADO TOAST WITH VEGAN CILANTRO PESTO (SUGARFREE, GF, DF, V)
Tasty avocado toast recipe with a savory vegan pesto! Inspired by Natalie's many trips to the Picnik food trailer in Austin, Texas for the same style of avocado toast.
FEATURING RT1home Herb Seeds: CILANTRO
or high-speed blender
- 2 slices gluten-free bread I used Brown Rice Bread from Food for Life
- 1 whole avocado
Vegan Cilantro Pesto (Makes about 8 TBSP)
- 2 heaping cups cilantro, loosely packed cilantro stems are okay to include. Substitutions for cilantro: parsley with stems removed or basil
- ⅔ cup pumpkin seeds I used sprouted raw and salted pumpkin seeds. You can also substitute raw unsalted or toasted unsalted pumpkin seeds but then please see note about increasing salt from 1 pinch to ½ teaspoon.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch sea salt If you are using unsalted pumpkin seeds you can increase the salt from 1 pinch to ½ teaspoon.
Toast your bread in a toaster or in the oven to a crisp golden brown.
While your bread is toasting make your vegan pesto: add your cilantro, pumpkin seeds, olive oil, garlic, nutritional yeast and sea salt to your food processor or blender and mix until well-combined. Mine is typically smooth but slightly grainy (from the pumpkin seeds).
Slice your avocado in half lengthwise.
When bread is finished toasting top each slice of bread with a layer of the vegan pesto. Use about 1-2 TBSP per piece of toast. Spread the pesto evenly onto your toast.
Top each slice of toast with pesto with ½ your avocado. I get kinda messy and scoop out the avocado and mash it a bit more into my toast with a knife or fork.
Top with black pepper and/or crushed red pepper flakes and any other desired toppings!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CILANTRO
Cilantro is nutrient-rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin K, folate and potassium. A total surprise to me — cilantro can be used to soothe anxiety. It is also a powerful heavy metal detoxifier –goodbye heavy metals! And cilantro is the perfect herb to grow at home and use in pestos, guacamole, fresh cilantro tea (I LOVE this) and as a garnish for anything/everything.
Natalie Collier, MScN is a Holistic Nutritionist and recipe developer based in Austin, Texas specializing in weight loss and hormone balance. She shares healthy and simple gluten-free recipes on her website: https://nataliecollier.com/
Recipe, photos + benefits created by Natalie Collier.