MAKE COCONUT COIR POT COVERS
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT COIR COVERS
A step by step guide on how to make DIY Coconut Coir covers for your Plant Pots.
Time: 10 mins per cover
- COCONUT COIR MATS OR LINER - material for the cover
- PLANT OF YOUR CHOICE - We are using a Philodendron Mayoi
- PLANT POT - to trace size of Cover. We are tracing a 5"nursery pot that fits in our 5" Porcelain PLANT POT
- CHALK or PEN - to trace with
- ROUND CENTER PIECE - We are using a small 1" round wall hook since it is a good size to trace for our plant stems to fit thoug
- RULER - to make a straight line for your slit
- SCISSORS - we are using our GARDEN SCISSORS
- SPRAY BOTTLE + WATER - to keep the cover moist!
1. Open up your COCONUT COIR MAT and lay flat.
2. Find the best location to place your PLANT POT to trace - try to minimize as much waste as possible!
3. Hold your pot down firmly and trace the outline with your CHALK.
4. Remove PLANT POT and place your ROUND CENTER PIECE at the center of the circle. Trace with CHALK.
5. Use a RULER or straight edge to draw a line connecting the outer circle to the inner circle (This will be a slit for your plant).
6. Carefully cut out outer circle first with your SCISSORS *The coco coir is a little tough so cut slowly!
7. After 1st circle is cut out, cut along your straight slit line and then carefully cut out the inner circle.
8. After cutting is complete - add the COCO COVER to the top of your PLANT OF CHOICE. Adjust cover as needed to fit around your Plant stems and to cover the Soil.
9. Spray Cover with SPRAY BOTTLE + WATER to keep cover Moist!
10. Make sure to continue to water your plant as needed. Spray cover to keep consistently moist (not soaked).
What is Coconut Coir? Everything in between the shell and the outer coating of the coconut seed is considered Coco Coir. It is a natural and renewable resource.
Benefits of using the Coconut Coir Covers on your Potted Plants:
- Helps increase the humidity and moisture levels for your plant. Coconut Coir has excellent water retention.
- Prevents fungus gnats and other pests from laying eggs in your Soil. Coconut coir is naturally pest resistant.
- Created from an eco-friendly + sustainable material
Use the cut scraps from your Coco Mats to use as drainage hole covers!
Step by step video guide is also available on our YouTube